Thursday, January 22, 2009

"I see my parents as they struggle with their physical and emotional pain....their struggles take them to their fear of death. I see my children move through their journey that brings them to their fear of not living fully. I witness my granddaughter Mattea, as she moves through tremendous physical pain. She is 5 months old and since birth she has been casted on both legs each week. We journey to Sick Kids Hospital and I hold the space of love for my children. The physical discomfort that Mattea goes through as her feet are remolded causes her to cry for hours. Mattea's tears brings her mother (my daughter Lindsay) to her fears and emotional pain.

While the procedure unfolds each week, Lindsay holds her child with love and peace creating a sacred place for her little girl to feel safe. For at least 3 days after the procedure Mattea endures physical pain and her beautiful family loves her through it all. By the time her legs and feet are comfortable in the new casts we make the trip to Sick Kids and our precious children go through the grueling experience again. The doctors are amazing and so caring, but the tough procedure is necessary for Mattea's future. The miracle will be when she will walk.

When I have my time to comfort my granddaughter, I see how quickly she lets go of the painful experience. Her eyes light up and she is so connected to the love again. She doesn't hold on to the pain. Once we are in the car and Mattea is asleep, I hold the space as Lindsay releases her tears that she has gently put aside, and she moves into her strength again. I also see how my daughter and her husband have so deepened in their own hearts and their loving relationship. They have all been stretched with this experience.

They are at the peak of this medical journey when next week Mattea has surgery and her last set of casts. We see the light and the past is behind them, yet the experience will always be woven in the blanket of their family love.

I will be sharing this story with my Granddaughter....how they all choose more life and love. I am so grateful and proud of my children!"

Colleen Hoffman Smith

No comments: