Monday, December 8, 2008

"We had a beautiful family weekend up north and I have observed how gentle and kind loving opens the hearts of your loved ones. My daughter Lindsay and her husband Jay parent their children with such great respect, patience, acceptance and attention. As partners and parents they are so consistent with their loving and peaceful caring, even when they discipline.

When my grandson Eli, who is almost 3, becomes tired and resistant, I hear Lindsay give him a choice and I see how it empowers him to make a healthy choice. She says gently but firmly to Eli , when for example he says no to a bath or shower , "Eli, please don't talk to Mommy like that....tell me what you are feeling." Eli says, "I want to play and I don't want a shower now." Lindsay says, "Please be a good listener...and you have a choice....you can have a shower or you can have your nap." Eli very happily made his choice to have a shower and there was no yelling or intimidating.

I am proud of our children and see that their patient way of communicating with their children can support them in becoming healthy adults.

I have many opportunities to be patient and kind with my parents. I know that when I move my frustrations out of my heart, they are inspired to feel the joy and love in theirs. Once I give them the time to express their anxieties and they feel me open and interested, the beautiful loving energy between them can be experienced. This weekend, their grandchildren and great grandchildren reminded them of the gift of life and how precious every day is.

I am in gratitude as I greet my day! It feels so good to give and receive the joy that peace within my heart can inspire. Our family grows with love!"
Colleen Hoffman Smith

No comments: