Thursday, July 2, 2009

"I have been with my Mother this past week. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's over 5 years ago. She has been struggling and this horrible disease is taking her from us.

I watch my Mother being ripped away from her reality and forced into a new reality. A world where her home of 20 years and cottage of 50 years is not familiar to her. She asks what to do next and I feel my fear of what is going to happen next. She is conscious that something terrible is happening to her and I comfort and hold her here. I tell her that she is safe and at home and we are going to be with her.


She hears me and relaxes into a short sleep with peace. We repeat this experience over and over again. I tell her stories to remind her of the loving home and life that she and Dad created for their family.

I breathe fully into my fears and release the tears from my heart. My connection to peace can now be the light to calm her in her darkness. I have no resentment for the time I choose to be present with her journey and the changes happening. I am grateful to my daily practice as I let go of emotional barriers so that I show up as a doorway for my Mother's resistance and fears to leave and for the energy of peace to arrive.

Every moment is precious and I know that it is an honor to be with her... I am grateful.

I will take each day at a time and every step I take will bring me closer to loving acceptance."

Colleen Hoffman Smith

No comments: